hide this website Cover your tracks online
Breaking the cycle of Domestic Abuse – Live Fear Free Helpline: 0808 80 10 800

History

1979 Port Talbot Women’s Aid is founded.

1980 The first refuge was opened in a house provided by Port Talbot Borough Council.

1992 A Floating Support scheme began in 1992 with Dewi Sant as the Registered Social Landlord.

1992 A large house with six family sized bedrooms was opened in partnership with South Wales Federated Housing Association (now United Welsh Housing Association)

2000 2 projects started; SureStart and Children & Youth Partnership with funding for a 35 hour childwork post.

2006 ‘Eve’s Place’ Community resource opens, where women in the community call in for support, information, workshops and training courses in a safe environment.

2008 Funding to provide a ‘mothers and toddlers’ facility both in-house and in the community. A grant was awarded to provide therapeutic activities for the refuge residents.

2009 Group celebrates 30 years of Women’s Aid in Port Talbot and the Afan Valley

2010 PTAWA open the first ‘Move-on’ accommodation, a lovely refurbished building containing five self-contained flats.

2010 The group appoints their first Manager, having previously operated as a collective.

2012 PTAWA celebrates 20 years in the current refuge. Since 1992 approx 900 women and 1200 children have been accommodated in our refuge